Established in 1979, Shield Services Group has become one of the largest national service providers in the environmental service sector. We have grown steadily over the years and have constantly adapted to meet the demands and changing practises of the sectors we work with. Shield Services Group strive to be the best in whatever industry we operate in. Shield’s core value of exceptional customer care helps drive our very high standards. We feel honoured to have many long-standing relationships with our clients, many of whom we have been working with for years.
Shield Services Group is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity.
An opportunity has arisen for an Asbestos Health & Safety/Compliance Advisor. The role is based in Bristol and requires travel throughout the UK.
- Be Shield’s expert in Asbestos compliance and provide additional support to the other divisions within the Group as we strive to be the best in the industry.
- Ensure Asbestos work is undertaken safely without putting Shield’s Asbestos Licence at risk.
- To be Shield’s point of contact with the regulators, auditors and other external bodies.
- Implement systems to ensure that Health and Safety performance and compliance is monitored and measured and maintained at a high standard.
- Continually drive improvement in H&S standards within the Asbestos division.
Establish, manage and monitor and review standards, processes, communications, and systems to ensure:
- To be guardian of Shield’s standards for working with Asbestos as well as other H&S standards, ensuring an understanding of the risks and control measures associated with Asbestos work, for employees and contractors.
- A safe workplace with risks to health suitably and sufficiently controlled.
- Safe plant and machinery, and safe movement, storage and use of articles and substances.
- Provision of suitable and current information and supervision concerning health and safety policies and practices.
- Proper and timely assessment of risks to health and safety, and implementation of measures and arrangements identified as necessary from the assessments.
- Provision of emergency procedures, first-aid facilities, safety signs, relevant protective clothing and equipment, and incident reporting to the relevant authorities.
- Liaison as necessary with other organisations and relevant authorities, and assistance and cooperation concerning audits and remedial actions.
- Prevention and precautions against, or adequate control of, exposure to hazardous substances, and danger from flammable, explosive, electrical, noise, radiation and manual handling risks.
- Surveillance and reporting on health and safety practices and systems.
- Management of Site compliance auditing.
- Compliance reporting for site audits and Branch/division operations to drive improvement.
- Coordinate and attend site audits by external bodies, where applicable such as (i.e. ARCA & ACAD).
- Overseeing the audits of Plans of Work for Asbestos or Job Method Statements for other divisions
- Ensuring respiratory protective equipment (RPE) compliance
- Assess fire risk in work places
- Transporting and storage of dangerous goods (DGSA) is desirable
- Raise levels of awareness and understanding of safety and quality through on-the-job coaching, and the proactive provision of advice, guidance and support.
Qualifications and experience:
Comprehensive knowledge of all things Asbestos gained through training and hands on site experience. Broad experience in the construction field, ideally with a background in Safety, Quality auditing or site inspection. The candidate will need a sound understanding of the Asbestos industry and know the expectations of external consultants, and the HSE. They will also have a general appreciation of the client’s operational needs.
- Prepared to travel as required throughout the UK including overnight stays.
- Experience of working with Asbestos in a SHE role.
- Knowledge of Hazardous Waste Requirements would be a distinct advantage.
- Professional qualifications in Asbestos and Health & Safety.
Other qualities and requirements:
- We require a team player who is trustworthy, presentable, professional and open person with excellent communication and organisational skills. They should be able to motivate key individuals, regardless of role or position, enabling the creation of a positive safety culture.
- Must be prepared to travel extensively, stay away overnight and work in different environments and to deliver objectives to tight deadlines.
- Computer literate – Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, Visio etc.
- Able to work without supervision and demonstrate effective self-management.
- Able to effectively prioritise work whilst under time-pressures.
- Ability to effectively investigate accidents and incidents and identify root cause and recommend to prevent a recurrence.
- Good communication and written skills. Have to be able to match your audience’s levels.
- Must keep up to date with the latest legislation and guidance.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Be an integral part of Shield’s Quensh Team and assist in developing the Quensh team when required.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
To apply for this role, please email your CV and covering letter detailing how you meet the criteria set out in the job description to firstname.lastname@example.org